The marriage course ended, so Michael and I decided that we would keep Monday nights as our date night. He surprised me with tickets to The sound of Music which was incredible. I was so moved, the setting being in Austria made me nostalgic and little pangs to return kept nudging me all night. I loved it. It was beautiful. We met up with Julie and Phil for dinner last week. It was so good to see them. I think I naively thought we'd see eachother a lot more while we've been here, but we are all so busy and schedules often don't match. We do hope to see them next week, maybe do a little ice-skating at the Natural History Museum. I have to say Julie and Phil have been so kind and have generously offered us their place to stay at while we wrap up the final days of the internship and then leave for Venice. Venice!!! I've hardly had time to think about it, but I can't wait! I should really have a read through that Italian phrase book, try and learn some more basics apart from my please and thank-you.
We met up with Gordon and Wendy (Elsa's mom and dad) at the weekend service at HTB. It was really nice to see them. They are such sweet people and it's always good to see a friendly and familiar face. The weekends generally pass in a blur... Friday night, the interns went to Nicky and Pippa's for a lovely supper and visit. There was such a palpable spirit of warmth and friendship among all of us. We so enjoyed our visit. They are generous and gracious hosts and vey dear people. There is something so special about this whole Internship and I think so many of us have been blessed in unexpected ways with eachothers friendship and learning from one- another. It's going to be difficult to seperate and say goodbye. I sincerely hope that God brings us together again in this life, somehow.
Monday night Michael and I were able to get tickets to see War Horse. We took the tube to Embankment and walked across the bridge towards the National Theatre. As we were walking along, we stopped on the bridge to take it all in, you could see so many of the London sights as we were crossing and it was such a cold, clear and dark night. I wish I'd have brought my camera. Once we made it across the bridge, there were all these small wooden shed type stalls with varied delicous aromas and bright coloured trinkets and bobbles. As we neared the sheds, you could smell sweet waffles, crepes, potato and sausage soup, bratwurst and ... GERMKNODEL!!!! It was a German market!!! You can imagine my delight as we wandered up and down the stalls. I gave in and bought a delicious Knodel the fluffy dougheyness, the hot tangy spiced cherry filling drenched in smooth Vanilla custard and dusted with sweet poppy-seeds. I nearly cried, more memories of Austria and that same longing to go back. (Michael got a lean garlicy Wurst in a bun) We made our way to the Theatre and each had a nice drink, Michael-Guinness and me a steaming cup of Earl Grey, we sat and listened to some local, live jazz and then broused through a fantastic jewellery gallery inside the theatre. Really unique artsy stuff. Then, we went into the Theatre and were delighted to disciver that our £10 seats were excellent and there were no "bad" seats in the house. The show opened with a melancholy English Folk song, gave me chills and I was hooked. The War Horse was absolutely incredible!!! I've never seen anything like it. I would see it again. Recommend it without reservation, to anyone over the age of 12. I was so moved, it was so genious and creative and alive. No wonder its a sell-out all the way until March, even on a Monday night!!!
Last night we did our little home-group/pastorate. It was good to catch-up with eachother and find out all the latest and then pray for one another and enjoy another wonderful dinner with all sorts of yumminess. Roast chicken, curried rice, garlic-bread and rice pudding with toffee sauce. We are so blessed. Our new kind of normal.
No comments:
Post a Comment