Saturday, December 20, 2008

The Next Chapter...

 The Internship is over, but the friendships continue across the miles and I feel assured that somehow distance might actually even strengthen the love we have shared in living our lives side-by-side.
    The last days were fleeting. You'd never know time to fly so fast, especially with emotional goodbyes looming in the doorways of time passing.
   It was a strange process to begin packing up the contents of our room at 39 Bounds Green. The 'end' seemed so far-off when we'd first arrived. I suppose you might find yourself thinking 'I wonder what it will be like when it's over' but those thoughts were flickers and generally not something that you spend any real time mulling over especially when the pace of life was, at times, frantic.
  There were some very memorable moments in the final week, tying up loose ends at work, farewell parties with fluffy Hummingbird cupcakes and tea, a very special 'session' with a certain Vicar, a team of 150+ co-workers and employees praying over us, simple suppers with house-mates... last minutes where Michael and I were honoured to receive traditional Indian dress from our dear friends Matthew and Brunetta... no words to describe what we were feeling or what we feel now.
  Then it was on to Venice, arriving to discover shocking rain, violent wind and yes, flooding!!! All that said, it was beautiful and relaxing. Not too many tourists that time of year for understandable reasons. No real crowds to contend with and our hotel was so good. A little out of the main touristy bit, but perfect for us. The weather improved by Wednesday, and we both feel like we were blessed to have some time for just the 2 of us. It's a lovely place, lots of twists and turns and then you discover some hidden treasures. We shared lovely meals, wine and just time together.
   We arrived up  in Blackpool early (3:45 am) Friday morning. Had a relaxing day yesterday, little bit of shopping, no crowds and then Fish n' Chips for dinner. Michael and I slept-in today, everyone is battling cold germs right now.  The pace of life has slowed enough, now we can catch up on rest.
  Christmas is around the next corner, Karen and Terry's home is lovely and they are welcoming and have gone so far out of their way to make things easy for Michael and I. We've had another relaxing day. I've unpacked some of our things and we've settled in. There were some really sweet cards from family and friends from back home waiting for us when we arrived. I can't say how much it's meant for us to hear from people we are so eager to see again. There's nothing quite like a hand-written note from someone you love.
 I think that's it for now, life only moves in one direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment