Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Frozen, clear weather has lingered for the last week or so. It's such a welcome change from the horrible soggy November rain. Incessant rain. The pale blue sky is a shadow of it's former glory and seems quiet in contrast to the bold colours of earlier fall.
Michael and I decided to go for a drive the other day and we ended up in Belcarra. It was so frosty, the trees almost looked like they had snow on their limbs. We packed a thermos of hot coffee, wrapped up in our warmest jackets and headed out, not really knowing what we would find on our way.
It was sunny, but achingly cold if you weren't properly dressed. We found the secluded village and then we got out and walked around the park, near the waterfront. We stopped at an iced over pond and walked around it through thick woods which were a heavily scented mix of fir, cedar and all sorts. It was such a fun thing to do. I think Michael and I are curious and we can't just sit in one place and we like to explore. I think it's strange when people don't know what is outside of the city limits and it's fun to just get in your car and go!
While we were walking around the pond, there was this little chubby bird to one side where the water wasn't frozen. It would hop along various rocks and surfaces and then dive under water and swim like a fish! The water was so clear you could see perfectly. It was the craziest thing. It always had lots of food in its mouth when it surfaced which is why it was so chubby. We also saw a tiny chipmunk, but it scampered away quickly when it heard us giggling at the little bird. After our little trek, it was so good to get into our warm car and have a small steaming cup of coffee to help thaw out our hands.
I thought I hated winter... turns out I hate the combination of rain + cold. But I can cope with sunshine and cold, or even snow and cold, which is a good thing because winter will be here for a while.


2 comments:

  1. You really have a way with words. You should be a writer or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you Prissy! Thank you for encouraging words. I'd love to write a book one day! Wonder what it will be about...

    ReplyDelete