Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Where the Wild Things Are...

Thank goodness for cameras. Our trip was one stunning view after another as rocky cliffs gave way to sandy beach and thrashing breakers... Winding roads, ancient forests, bridges, cities and sunsets, vineyards, rolling hills, palm trees and more ocean than a heart can hold.
The two weeks that Michael and I spent travelling down the Oregon coast down to Southern California was so spectacular and we had so much fun. (Even when we nearly froze one night or when we opted to sleep in the back of our small car for 3 nights in-a-row.) There were so many highlights and memorable moments and not enough words to express the beauty we witnessed in the wilds of America. The whale was pretty cool, but then I also loved the sea lions and the pelicans and chipmunks, squirrels and the sweet little hummingbird in our campsite. We drove through the Avenue of the Giants and experienced the awe of trees who seem more like ancient mystics than just tall trees. Sunny and rolling wine country with plump bunches of black-purple grapes, more winding coast and the heady scent of eucalyptus as we cruised through groves and forests of the fragrant trees. Arriving in Santa Barbara and being greeted by those amazing palm trees, powder-soft beaches and weather that's just right for t-shirts and shorts, not to mention pistachio frozen yogurt topped with giant blackberries. We stopped at Crater Lake on our way home and stood in awe once again at the sapphire water and unspoiled beauty. We were two little kids in a giant playground.

4 comments:

  1. OOo what a nice trip Heidi. Looks amazing.. Those Big redwood Giants were in last months National geographic mag.. They are massive.. And i love your blog title. Cant wait to see the movie! Lots of love

    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you! Yeah we had a really good time, but the next road trip we do, we'll come east and see the maritimes and visit with you too! The Redwoods are def a must see. I'll have to check out Nat. Geographic, it was tricky to get the iso on my camera right, most of my pics in the trees are grainy or blurrey, oh well. Can't wait to see the movie, I love cute monstery things! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heide, when are you going to write a book? Your photographs are great too! I can see photography AND book writing in your future. (I'm very serious!!)

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEIDE! I HOPE YOU GET THIS NOTE AND ENJOY A WONDERFUL BD ON OCT 30. LOVE, SUSAN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing pictures Urnex! Made me realize I must do another road trip soon!!!
    So glad that the two of you got to go on your adventure, and see so many beautiful things!!

    ReplyDelete